Copperplate with Jane
Take a deep dive into the world of Copperplate calligraphy with Jane Matsumoto in this 12-week, on-demand course. Registration is now closed for the minuscules course, but registration for the majuscules course opens in April. Get on the waitlist to be notified when registration is open.
Who Should Enroll?
- Complete beginners who have never used a pointed pen
- Beginner calligraphers with some experience
- Intermediate calligraphers who want to take their copperplate calligraphy to the next level
- Advanced calligraphers who want to fine-tune their Copperplate, experience Jane's teaching style and join a group of dedicated calligraphers who are focusing on perfecting their craft
Anyone who wants guided practice and intense focus on Copperplate minuscules for 12 weeks should enroll!
What is Included?
- 12-Week course
- Six on-demand video lessons, one produced every other week
- Printable workbook with traceable letters and guidelines
- 30 Days access to the course materials after it ends
- Membership in Kalli Camp Academy Tier 2, which includes all video classes in our current classes and video archives
“Set Up” with the 4 P’s
- Pen hold
- Paper Position (Both right-hand and left-hand positions will be covered)
“Warm Up” with a set of exercises that will help loosen up and strengthen lower and upper arm muscles, as well as help build muscle memory.
“Let’s Get Started” with step by step instruction of minuscule letterforms, grouped by similarities. Emphasis will be on forming each letter based on the underlying oval shape.
Putting It Together
“Putting It Together” with assignments where each student will put together words using the minuscule Copperplate letters learned.
Who Should Attend?
Calligraphers of all skill levels are invited to join this course. Whether you are starting from the very beginning or wanting focused practice to perfect your copperplate, this course is perfect for you.
What is the Format?
All classes are offered on-demand, right here on our course platform at the Kalli Camp Academy website. The classes will be available to you for the entire 12 weeks plus an additional 30 days after the course is over.
What is Included?
For each lesson, we provide an on-demand video and a printable handout. These include supply lists and worksheets needed to practice the lesson. Students will also have all benefits of Tier 2 membership.
Pre-lesson – Strokes and Supplies
- Info about basic supplies needed for beginning the course
- Introduction to the basic strokes of Copperplate minuscules
Lesson 1 – X Marks the Spot!
- Cover the 4 P’s (posture, position, pen, paper)
- Introduce warm up exercises for minuscules
- Start with “short” minuscules:
- Under curve letters - i, u, w
- Over curve letters - m, n, alternative r (ending of a word)
- Demonstrate how to connect letterforms together
Lesson 2 – Curving This Way And That Way
- Double curve letters: v, alternative x, r
- Reversed curve letters: s and x
- Oval letters: o, a, c, e
- Demonstrate a few words
Lesson 3 – Squared Top Tweens
- Review warm ups
- Review letters from last month: i, u, w, m, n, v, r, s, x, o, a, c, e, alternative r and x
- Full stroke letters (aka “tween” minuscules) : d and t and p
- Demonstrate a few words including letters that were reviewed
Lesson 4 - Let’s Get Loopy!
- Ascending loop letters (aka “tall” minuscules): l, b, h, k, f
- Demonstrate a few words
Lesson 5 – Going Into the Basement
- Review letters from previous month: d, t, p, l, b, h, k, f
- Descending Loop letters (aka“basement” minuscules): j, g, q, y, z
- Demonstrate words (juxtaposition--focus on paper movement and writing zone)
Lesson 6 – That’s a Wrap!
- Numerals and signs (0-9, ampersand, exclamation point, question mark, etc)
- Minuscule Review
*Exact arrangement of topics and lessons subject to change.
How Much Does It Cost?
This course is provided at no additional cost to Tier 2 members of Kalli Camp Academy. That means when you enroll today in Tier 2 using the link on this page, you will get all the benefits of Tier 2 membership PLUS access to the Copperplate with Jane: Mastering Minuscules 12-week course.
Cost of Membership: $34/month
Optimize Your Learning Experience with an Exclusive Live Virtual Class
Private Mentor Group with Jane
For those who want a more personalized experience with face-to-face live instruction from Jane, we are opening a very small private mentor group for the duration of the 12-week course.
When you join this group, you will enjoy:
- Three Live zoom sessions with Jane, one each month
- Submission of three homework assignments with feedback from Jane
- Access to submit questions on our Interactive Q&A Google Sheet
To enroll in the private mentor group, you must first enroll in the Copperplate with Jane course, and then you will receive a link with a 20% coupon to purchase access for the private group.
Don't miss your chance to learn Copperplate calligraphy with Jane!
Enrollment for this course closed on January 17, 2021, and it may not be available again this year. We will move into a Majuscules course in May, and registration will open in April.
What Our Students Have to Say About Jane
Morgan Milton @doinmydrills
"Jane brings so much joy and passion to everything she teaches. She expertly combines technical skill with playful whimsy and empowers her students."
Angela Hatcher @writwritten
"Jane finds a way of taking something complicated and unraveling it so you can learn all the individual details. With her teaching, you learn how to perfect each piece and weave it all back together to create your own masterpiece. She has the best supply recommendations and you can tell how much she loves what she’s teaching."
Ezra Feller @ezra_ben_mordecai
"Jane is so knowledgeable and makes you feel welcome from the start. She has a way of breaking something down into simple pieces. "
Dindi Martin @justwritedindi
"Jane inspires her students to create wonderful works of art by breaking down it's elements into smaller, easier to understand pieces, like building blocks, so that we can then be confident to create on our own. Her soothing voice encourages and builds you up to further pursue art in all its complexity. It's truly a pleasure to learn from an amazing teacher like Jane."
Gretchen Montebello @gretchen.calligraphy
"Jane has a passion for teaching and it shows, because she takes time to answer everyone's questions. She's very approachable and one of the kindest and caring people I've ever met!"
Janet Ho @jal.art377
"Jane is generous, loving, and a knowledgeable teacher. She inspires her students with a positive attitude and always carries a smile on her face with a very comforting voice!! I feel so blessed to learn from Jane!"
Vijayshree Prakash @vjcallinewbie
"Jane’s positive attitude and generosity is reflected in everything she does. She uses a wonderful teaching technique. First, breaks up complex artwork in simple elements. Then, she goes step by step to put it all together while explaining the rules. Finally, she encourages us to explore variations so that our work is not a copy but has something of our own. More than anything, she has taught me to appreciate my work and be patient with myself. Every time I attend her session, I feel secure and comfortable enough to voice my thoughts and ask questions. She was kind enough to make a video and post it on IG to address a challenge I was facing in my calligraphy practice."
Laurie Paolinetti @lauriepaolinetti
"Jane teaches with such detailed instruction, & her passion & knowledge for all things calligraphy & art are endless! A favorite teacher of mine!"
Tico Kanzaki @tico.calligramotion
"What Jane talks about always has meaning or reason behind it whether it comes from her historical studies or from her experiences as a calligrapher. She always breaks it down and explains it for us to understand or execute the technique easily. Her passion for teaching and the patients she has with us are gratefully appreciated. She pays attention to each student and guides us through when we are lost."
Sonia Pal @soniajpal
"Jane is an instructor and mentor who breaks down the most complex techniques step by step in such a way that it is beneficial for students at all levels, beginner to pro. She will add in tips and tricks as well as resources that are useful. Her calm voice and bright smile makes learning fun!!"
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to a few common questions. If you have a question that isn't covered or have trouble registering for the course, please contact us using the support page, but please allow 24-48 hours for a response.